Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Lord will have a Humble Elder

     One would think that the more you study something, the more you would know about it and feel closer to understanding it as a whole.  One would usually be correct in this assumption, however, that is not the experience I have had this week.  I have been studying recently about the attribute of Humility in my daily studies and how to apply it in order to be more humble in my actions.  A couple of things have happened as I have been out here serving a mission that have helped me to understand why it is so important to be humble.
     To begin with, as a missionary we talk with our leaders in order to better help the people in our area.  We are not all perfect, but when we council together we have increased ability to do what the Lord would have us do.  During a couple of these meetings, I have had the opportunity to publicly acknowledge the mistakes I have made in the past and try to do better in the future.  Not that the impact of these actions was bad, but I could have done things better.  I have to admit that my initial reaction was a little anger and embarrassment that my leaders would call me out in front of others, but as I look back, why should I have been angry?  All they want to do is help me understand what they have come to realize over the course of their lives through the mistakes they have made in taking similar actions to the ones I took.  I should have been grateful that they want to help me change, not angry that they pointed out my mistakes!
     In short, I can wrap this up in one statement through a quote I heard in the Missionary Training Center from Jenny Oaks Baker:  "The Lord will have a humble [Wesley]."  So, as I am trying to work at being more humble, the Lord will help me by putting these experiences in my path.  In humbling myself before Him, I can learn to do what He wants, instead of what I want.
-Elder Wesley Cannon

No comments:

Post a Comment