Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tis the Start of Another Transfer!

   With the New Year also came the start of another transfer, or in other words, a time of changing and moving the missionaries around in our Washington DC North mission.  As for me, I have left my happy Capitol Ward and headed off to the Bowie Ward straight east of where I was.  With this change has come new companions and a totally different area in which I need to learn where and where not to go.  But its weird having to say good bye to all the wonderful people I have met so far out here.  It feels as if I have ended one mission and started my next mission here in Bowie.
     While one can reminisce over time well spent, one can not help but look forward with an eye of faith to what the future may entail.  I found this quote by President Thomas S. Monson saying,
I especially love those last two lines, 
Everyday of your life is a special occasion.
     
     I told one of my dear friends recently that each day is a new day and we should do something worth mentioning in our journals, for each has that potential.  Now by this I do not mean that we all have to go skydiving every day, or bungee jump off a cliff in order to have something noteworthy to write about, but it's what we take from the day, however monotonous it may be, and then make it special.  For example, if you look at the life of a missionary, we pretty much do the same thing everyday, week after week, and month after month.  After a while, we all lose track of time and the days seem to blend together.  What I have learned in order to tell the days apart is to take the small blessings of my day and treasure them up. Yesterday someone gave us three delicious biscuits to take home for breakfast the next morning.  While I was eating said biscuits this morning, I got to see the fog roll into the complex and just blanket all that it touched with the rising sun casting a perfect light on it all.  Now, to most people, this would be water underneath the bridge, or just some crumbs in the corner that need picking up.  But to me, these experiences are what set my days apart from the rest and make them special occasions in my book.  I know that recognizing these small things in life will help to make every day a special occasion, and showing your gratitude to God for these things will make you happier in the days to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment