Sunday, December 1, 2013

Through the Thick and Thin

    For the past little while, life has been very interesting within my awesome little tri-panionship.  One of my companions has been trying to cut all sweets out from his diet as so he can build a good lifestyle for after he gets home.  To begin, he threw out all the cookies we had in the apartment so that the temptation would not be there for him.  He was trying to last a week, but as time went on, members in our ward have been giving us more sweets than usual to take home with us to enjoy later.  This turned his abstinence from sweets into a battle ground, making it difficult for him to overcome this temptation of his.  In addition, we, his would-be protectors, like to tempt him in any way possible because of how we have grown to be like brothers.  So, how does any of this relate to seeing the Hand of the Lord in my life?
     To begin with, I would like you to think about the life of Jesus Christ and all that He went through.  As He started on the descent, slowly everyone began to stop supporting the Him.  During the most difficult part of His life, none were with Him, and even God had to step away so that the Savior could perform the Atonement for all of the world.  His sanctuary with God went away for a time, as did His friends when He needed them the most.  He was utterly alone...

   
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulations: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

     This verse from John 16:33 is why my companion, despite us, he does not have to be alone to face his temptation with sugar, because he can ask God for help in his time of trial so that he can overcome it.  While many may not think this to be a trial in his life, the fact is he wanted to change and try to improve his willpower so that he could overcome other temptations that may come his way in the future.  As I have tried to stay the course with my companion and be a help to him, I have realized how difficult it can be to not eat something that is in great abundance sitting right in front of you, day in, and day out.  I too can work on my willpower as I rely on my Savior for all that I do so that I can be strong in the day of my temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment