Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A More Peaceful Home

     Ever since Sunday, life has felt... different.  Good, but different.  Something's changed, but I cant quite put my finger on it.  Maybe it's the turkey from Sunday.  Maybe it's the fast I held that day.  But something most certainly changed.
     To start off this turn of events, Sunday December 1st was the first Sunday of the month, which meant that it was the day set apart for a fast, or in other words, to go without partaking of food or drink for a space of 2 meals.  Waking up on these mornings is often difficult and trying for me because the first thing I do in the morning is drink a cup of water, which help me out in the morning.  When we realize that it is Fast Sunday, one of two reactions usually happen. 1)"Oh snap, it's Fast Sunday, can't eat anything til dinner.  Ugh..." or 2)"It's Fast Sunday, its going to be hard, but it will be worth it."  Now, this may not be exactly what we say or think, and it may even be a mixture of the two, but to say the least, I had mixed feelings about this Fast Sunday, and wasn't really feeling up to fasting.  However, I did it anyway, and my purpose for the fast was seeking to improve myself for the people around me.  So, I put this thought on the back burner and kind of just left it there until we broke fast that evening, and even until I went to bed that night.  The thought was kind of just lingering there of,  "What can I do?"
     Waking up on Monday morning, having completely forgotten about most things related to yesterday, I went about doing business as usual.  Somehow though, the same kind of thought pattern kept crossing my mind with my interactions with my companion--something like, "Now Elder, do you really need to respond like that?"  I did not consider that this might be related to yesterday's fast, and did not realize that it was prompting me change for the better.  So, for once I listened to that little voice in my head and started to respond in kinder and less contentious ways to my companions and my roommates.  With that, I have been happier, and the people who I live with for now have been happier with me because there is less contention in the home when I respond in kindness towards others.  Not to say that I have always responded in anger, but I can be kind of prickly, and I am noticing that I am behaving this way less and less, and life is improving because of this.
     Now, some may say these two events are not correlated and and separate in their entirety, but I will testify to you, my friends, that while my fast may have not been the best.  I still strived to keep the commandments of God with a sincere heart, and because of such, the Lord has blessed me in helping me to change my heart and come closer to Him.  I know that He lives to help and bless me as I seek Him, as I have just related to you, and He can do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment